If you’ve had a child, you probably know babies love textures and tags on their stuffed animals. Why not combine those two things into one DIY sensory activity sure to entertain your little one for a little bit? As I was planning the ultimate baby shower gift for my sister I knew her little one would need a tag blanket. I had every intention of making Clara one but that never happened so I knew I need to make one for my nephew…and it’s so easy! I can’t believe I didn’t make one for Clara. Seriously, you can make this from start to finish in less than 15 minutes.
Here’s how to make a tag blanket in less than 15 minutes. Plus, it’s a perfect DIY baby shower gift!
Once you make your first tag blanket, you’ll want to make one for every new mommy. It was so fun picking out all the ribbon and different textures thinking what my future nephew would want to play with. Here’s what you’ll need.
- 2 fabric squares 16″ x 16″
- Ribbon 4″ in length
- Wonder clips or sewing pins – Wonder clips are seriously amazing and anyone who sews needs them. You can pick up your own here for just a few bucks!
- Sewing machine & coordinating thread
How to Make Your Own Tag Blanket
I found the cutest woodland fabric pack at Joann’s that was perfect for this tag blanket. You’ll also need coordinating ribbon. Depending on the fabric store, you can buy the ribbon by the inch or spool. I suggest 4″ ribbon pieces and use as much as you want. I used 6-7 ribbon loops on each side but it depends on your ribbon width and how full you want.
1. Using your coordinating fabric, cut 2 16″ x 16″ squares.
2. Then take your ribbon and lay it out on one side of the fabric in what ever order you think your little one will love the little textures. Make sure to leave about an inch free on each end since the end will disappear once you flip your fabric the right side out.
3. Once you have them generally placed, fold the ribbon in half and clip to your fabric using straight pins or these Wonder clips that I swear are the best kept sewing secret! Everyone needs them!
Note that the fabric is placed with the design up and the ribbon headed inwards. This will make sense once you do the next few steps.
4. Now, sew your ribbon on to your fabric about 1/4″ away from the edge removing the pins or clips as you go.
5. Next, take your second fabric square and place it right side down so that the ribbons are sandwiched in the middle.
6. Pin the two squares together and sew around the outside edge about 1/2″ from the edge leaving a 3″ gap in the middle of one of the sides where you will turn the blanket inside out.
7. Using the gap, pull the blanket inside out so that all your ribbons are now on the outside.
8. Iron your edges down, being careful to keep the gap closed together and pin it to hold.
9. Then, top stitch a 1/4″ from the edge of your tag blanket all the way around to hold all the ribbon in place and close the gap from turning the blanket inside out.
And you’re done! A simple tag blanket complete in less than 15 minutes!! If you know what theme or colors a new mom is doing for their baby, this would make the perfect DIY baby shower gift.
Clara loved playing with the tag blanket I made for her new cousin. We can’t wait to meet you baby boy! You can hurry up and get here any time now!
Crafty Hacks & Tips
Ready to save money, time, and resources? Grab this freebie with 9 handy crafty hacks & tips.