The average American drinks more bottled water than what comes out of the tap in their homes. Why? Because 69% of the water supplied to homes is gotten from surface sources which people don’t trust. Although the United States Environmental Agency (EPA) uses chemicals for filtration, an extra layer of purification is always needed—especially for refrigerators. This is where filters for Kenmore refrigerators or other types of refrigerators come in.
The major importance of water filters in Kenmore refrigerators is to ensure that your H2O and ice are clean and safe to consume. In this blog, we’ll provide more benefits of using water filters in refrigerators and how to replace and maintain them. Let’s dig in!
Benefits of Using Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filters
Improved Taste and Odor
Disinfectants like chlorine and other contaminants can cause your water to have a bad taste and odor. But filtration can improve its quality by absorbing chlorine and organic compounds as it passes through the filtration system.
Easy Installation and Maintenance
Installing and maintaining Kenmore refrigerator water filters doesn’t require special tools or skills because they come with an easy installation manual to guide users through the process.
Longer Life Span For Your Appliance
The buildup of sediment and other impurities can damage your refrigerator by clogging its water supply. These sediments can also cause abrasion to the supply system, which leads to breakage. However, the installation of refrigerator water filters can prolong the lifespan of both your refrigerator and supply system by reducing these buildups. This is also why the importance of replacing refrigerator water filters on time cannot be overemphasized.
Cost-effective and Convenient
After the installation or maintenance of refrigerator water filters, you won’t spend money on other bottled and expensive alternatives. You’ll also help the ecosystem by reducing the amount of plastic waste from these alternative sources. Additionally, you won’t spend money treating water-borne diseases caused by impurities.
Kenmore Refrigerator Water Filter Replacement and Maintenance
A broken or dirty filtration system affects the performance of your refrigerator by reducing the flow of water to the fridge’s ice maker and dispenser. To avoid this, replacing your filtration system on time and maintaining it is necessary. But when should you replace them?
When and How to Replace Your Filtration System?
You should replace your filter if it’s broken, your water or ice is cloudy, the dispenser is taking longer than normal to fill up a glass, or when the “Replace Filter” light appears on the refrigerator control panel. But if none of these happens, then you should replace the filtration system every six months. Here is how to replace your fridge filtration system:
- Turn off the water supply to the refrigerator.
- Locate the filter compartment in your refrigerator. It’s usually at the upper right corner of a fridge compartment.
- Press the release button or pull the tab to open this compartment.
- Twist the old filter counterclockwise to remove it from the compartment.
- Remove the protective cap from the new filtration system.
- Insert the new one into the compartment and twist it clockwise to lock it into place—then close the compartment.
To ensure it is properly replaced, turn on the fridge supply and run water through the dispenser for a few minutes. This also helps to clear any air from the system.
You can then maintain your Kenmore fridge filtration system by regularly:
- Cleaning the area around the filter compartment. Use a damp cloth or sponge to wipe away any dust or debris.
- Removing the filter from its compartment and checking for discolorations, clogs, or damages.
Cleaning Your Kenmore Refrigerator Filtration System
Remember, one of the importance of replacing refrigerator water filters is to improve the lifespan of your fridge. But most times, these filters need cleaning instead. Here is how to clean them.
- Remove it from the compartment and tap it over a garbage can or sink to remove any excess debris that has built up over time.
- Submerge it into warm water mixed with soap, vinegar, or other cleaning products made specifically for cleaning filters.
- Soak for 30 minutes and place it under a running tap until the water coming out of it looks clear.
- Air-dry and put it back into its compartment.
The importance of water filters in refrigerators cannot be overstated. Drinking directly from the tap or fridge without filtration can affect your health, appliances, and environment. But with a Kenmore fridge filtration system, you can drink clean water and live healthier.